For Blog Post click here
This Banana Bread is a mixture of banana and a chocolatey flavour that actually doesn’t come from chocolate…it´s from ´Alfarroba´ or Carob which is a fruit known by being a healthy replacement of chocolate.
You can buy carob flour nowadays in natural health shops or good supermarkets quite easily. You can find it on Wholefoods or Amazon too. It cannot be used alone as in my opinion will be a very strong flavour but is very nice when combined. For this recipe I chose to mix it with almond meal and a little bit of plain flour.
The smell of the cake while baking is great and the flavours combine perfectly…the almonds give a nice moist texture and the carob/alfarroba a super chocolatey taste.
- 100 g almonds meal
- 50 g plain flour
- 25 g carob/alfarroba flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 50 g coconut oil
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 50 g honey
- 100 g of brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 tsp of vanilla bean paste/vanilla flavour
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C and prepare a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- In another mixing bowl add the melted butter and coconut oil to the honey and sugar and beat until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at the time and add the mashed bananas and the vanilla.
- Fold in the flour mixture and combine well without over-mix.
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin and bake for 1 hour or until the skewer inserted in the centres of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave it to cool.
- You can leave some little pieces of banana unmashed if you want to find them in the cake while eating.
- This is a cake that you can slice and freeze and then toast and have it ready for a nice cup of coffee or tea.
Like it, share it, comment it, spread it…