For Blog Post click here
This is a very tasty cake, with a subtle lemon flavour combined with the simple sweetness of the honey. The cream and berries on top make a beautiful combination…it was a success and made my Mom very happy! She was a cake lover….
I used honey instead of the maple syrup as in the original recipe. I had a good light flowers honey and wanted to try it.
for the cake
- 160 g white spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 20 g cornflour
- 180 g unsalted butter, softened
- 180 g honey ( the original recipe uses maple syrup)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla flavour
- 3 large free-range eggs
- zest of 1/2 unwaxed lemon
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- pinch of salt
for the topping
- 300 ml double cream
- 2 tbsp light honey
- 300 g summer berries (I used strawberries, blueberries and raspberries)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC. Grease and flour a 22 cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter until pale and fluffy using an electric mixer. Add 2-3 tablespoons of the flour and beat in the eggs, one at the time. Continue to beat until you have a light, fluffy mixture (if it looks like curdling, add another tablespoon of flour). Fold in the rest of the flour, the baking powder and cornflour. Then add the honey, vanilla, lemon zest and salt, plus the 2-3 tablespoons of milk if the mixture is too stiff.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin, level the surface with the back of a spoon and bake for 40 min or until golden and the skewer inserted in the centres of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave it to cool completely.
- Place the cream and honey in a bowl and whip until soft peaks form. Spread the cream on the top of the cake and place the berries mixture over the cream.
- You may sprinkle a little bit of icing sugar on top if wanted.
Happy Mother´s Day
Like it, share it, comment it, spread it…