For Blog Post click here
This is a simple sponge sandwich cake, with a bit of lemony flavour and a cream cheese and fresh berries frosting. Somehow I didn’t have butter enough (which hardly happens!!) and used a mild olive oil and worked perfectly!
Try it…it´s very yummy! As I mentioned in the post yesterday we had cake for dessert after dinner and while chatting and having a glass of wine this was the result…
For the cake
- 50 g unsalted butter at room temperature, plus a bit extra for greasing
- 200 ml of mild olive oil
- 200 g white caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla flavour
- 4 large eggs
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- zest of 1 small lemon
- Fresh strawberries and raspberries for the inside filling and for decoration
For the frosting
- 250 g cream cheese
- 1 tsp of vanilla bean paste or vanilla flavour
- 50 g of icing sugar (you can add more if you like it sweeter)
- 2 medium fresh strawberries and a handful of raspberries (juiced)
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 ºC. Grease and line the bases of 2 round 20 cm sandwich tins.
- Cream the butter and olive oil together with the sugar in a mixing bowl until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs adding one at the time.
- Add the vanilla bean paste or flavour.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder and the salt with a metal spoon until just incorporated and be careful to not overmix.
- Divide the batter between the 2 cake tins.
- Bake the cakes in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden and the skewer inserted in the centres of the cakes comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave it to cool.
- When completely cool, pour the cream cheese into a bowl, add the vanilla and the sugar whisk well to combine but be careful to not to overmix otherwise the frosting will became runny.
- Juice two strawberries and the handful of raspberries and add the the cream cheese frosting which will give a nice fresh berries taste as well as a pink colour.
- Taste the frosting and see if you would like to add more sugar or vanilla. I don’t like it very sweet and prefer to feel the natural flavour of the berries juice, but you can adapt to personal taste.
- Place one of the cakes on a cake stand or plate and spread over the frosting and add the sliced strawberries and the raspberries, add the second cake on top and cover the cake with the rest of the frosting and decorate to your own taste. Flowers are always a good option!
Like it, share it, comment it, spread it…