Hello You..from a boiling hot Madrid!
We have been having seriously hot days and nights…I have to say I quite like the warm nights, having dinner outside with 30ºC at midnight with a table full of friends and some G&Ts it’s fun…but there is absolutely no fun in walking outside at 4 in the afternoon under a boiling sun to pick T from nursery and find something to do until dinner time!
A good thing of this hot weekend was that to escape from the heath outside I could enjoy a full relaxed Sunday at home and apart from preparing the goodies you will see below, I could enjoy them watching one of the tournaments I most love….It was the final of the Roland Garros and my very Old Crush was playing for his 10th Title! It was beyond spectacular, what a happy afternoon...hard work, true dedication and humbleness! Very high expectations for Wimbledon, I believe!
So, now let’s talk about these goodies that made me company during Sunday afternoon and that are still (some of them only) siting on my fridge!”
I confess I have crazy craving moments, when all I want is chocolate and no matter what I do to try to mislead these cravings there is no escape….and I end up having whatever seats in our cupboard that has chocolate on it!
I have now resolved the issue, with these delicious, chocolatey nutty flavoured, super easy and almost a zero guilt pleasure…Raw Cacao, Dates and Toasted Hazelnuts Balls!
Since the day my sweet neighbour E came by for a coffee and brought me these Whole Foods Market macaroons made with dates, coconut and raw cacao and my sister text me a picture of Deliciously Ella energy balls saying they were an absolute bliss…I made a pin on the idea that one day when I had a good food processor this would be one of my first recipes to try!
So…..I do now have a food processor (pure joy!) and I am so in love with it…it’s my absolute New Crush! I find all the excuses to use it…I blend, mix, crush…make sauces, pestos, icings, ice cream, everything I can possible do with it!
So, if you have a food processor of whatever kind try this 5 min recipe, literally throw the ingredients onto the food processor and blend for 2-3 min, make little balls and fridge with it!
Raw Cacao, Dates and Toasted Hazelnuts Balls
I love the combination of chocolate and toasted hazelnuts but you can also use almonds or other nuts you like. Toasting the nuts gives a very nice flavour combination, so do spare a couple of minutes and toast them over heath in a pan slightly until just golden!
Makes ˜ 22 (depending on individual size)
- 250 g pitted dates
- 80 g toasted hazelnuts
- 30 g raw cacao powder plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or flavour
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Put the dates, toasted hazelnuts, cacao powder, vanilla and coconut oil in a food processor and process for 2 to 3 minutes until you see the mixture combining and coming together almost as a dough.
- Roll the mixture into balls and use the extra cacao powder to coat them. Place the balls into the fridge and then into a airtight container and store them in the fridge for a couple of weeks…if you can hold!
- If you want to enhance the coconut flavour of these chocolatey balls, you can use shredded coconut as a top coat instead of cacao powder, or do a mix.
- When you buy nuts, always toast them and store in a airtight contain flask and in this way you always have them ready to make these balls or to top up a dessert (eg. ice cream)
- If you want to boost these cacao balls with some more fibre and goodness add a tsp of chia seeds or even some protein powder for a full energy ball.
Like it, share it, comment it, spread it…